Back to the good old days

Joe Rodriguez

Back to the good old days

Postby Joe Rodriguez » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:15 am

On my way.jpg

Not that the Baron is an old aircraft. But that flying away from all those "auto everything" gizmos, elaborated MACH fractions and 2 or 3 something flight levels reveals a different flavor of flying. Not only can you enjoy the scenery, which is impossible from 10 000 feet or above. You also get to become more involved with your aircraft and its flight.

Leaning or enriching the mixture, opening the cowls, using visuals for navigation, trimming on and on to jump over that peak you can see in the horizon. You name it. Not just pushing up a button and magically get to your destination. It reminds me of those old day cowboys that worried for their horses and paid close attention to every little change in their behaviors.

This new set of flights that I've just begun on a BE58 made me nostalgic and reflective of the long way I've been flying automated jets. What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Rodriguez
NBL5368G NZ
Just another pilot
New Zealand Hub

Adam Magiera

Re: Back to the good old days

Postby Adam Magiera » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Right you are. I just finished up flying the Bahamas ribbon. It was 27 flights to tiny airstrips and I used the B58. I will say my GA/prop flying skills have been weakened by 5 years of flying strictly jets. Some of my short strip landings were awful. I did not manage to hit any palm trees though :lol: . Definitely showed me that I should do a few GA flights now and then especially to small airports.
NBL4110G
Hub Captain - BOS Hub

Joe Rodriguez

Postby Joe Rodriguez » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:25 pm

:oops: Go picture. All the equipment of an Airbus, and I end up hitting a palm tree with a kiwi. Geoff will spend a long time putting the pieces back together. The Baron seems a good option for Bahamas. Although for old style flying I might try a DC3 to take up that ribbon of yours after I finish this Mexican Salsa. :D
Joe Rodriguez
NBL5368G NZ
Just another pilot
New Zealand Hub

Adam Magiera

Postby Adam Magiera » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:02 pm

Joe Rodriguez wrote::oops: Go picture. All the equipment of an Airbus, and I end up hitting a palm tree with a kiwi. Geoff will spend a long time putting the pieces back together. The Baron seems a good option for Bahamas. Although for old style flying I might try a DC3 to take up that ribbon of yours after I finish this Mexican Salsa. :D

To clarify, its not my ribbon, its one in the ribbon system that I flew recently.

The DC3 is a hard bird, I have never gotten the hang of that.
NBL4110G
Hub Captain - BOS Hub

Joe Rodriguez

Postby Joe Rodriguez » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Adam Magiera wrote:To clarify...

I meant it as a joke, Adam. :D Besides, once you have completed a ribbon flight in the system, it becomes yours, right? ;) Yes! I just checked it up in the system and it is yours now. :D As I said before, I'll try it soon.
Joe Rodriguez
NBL5368G NZ
Just another pilot
New Zealand Hub

Adam Magiera

Postby Adam Magiera » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:59 pm

Joe Rodriguez wrote:
Adam Magiera wrote:To clarify...

I meant it as a joke, Adam. :D Besides, once you have completed a ribbon flight in the system, it becomes yours, right? ;) Yes! I just checked it up in the system and it is yours now. :D As I said before, I'll try it soon.

:lol: Fair enough, good sir. :D
NBL4110G
Hub Captain - BOS Hub

Anthony Hoskin

Postby Anthony Hoskin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Dunno about the good ol days but will go as far as.

Going back to basic's VFR and IFR without FMC's CDU' autopilot not run by flight planner software.
I do return to basics as it does refresh your skills with navigation.
not forgetting real weather which will push you off course so you do have to make corrections to your flight.

but you have time to work it out all the dials and needles work so follow your print out plan with all your info on it and enjoy real flying its great.

ATVB Tony (Sapper)
Image;Image;
Always sit at the back. aircraft don't reverse into mountains

Return to “Screenshot Gallery”